Are you outgoing and customer service-oriented? Do you find the challenge and potential of a sales environment exciting?
What does an Agent/Producer do?
An Agent, or Producer, identifies and works with clients to explain, recommend and sell insurance, from property and casualty to life, health, auto and more. Agents can operate in many different forms – independent, exclusive, insurer-employed and self-employed.
Why is it important?
Individuals and organizations purchase insurance to meet specific needs, and it is the role of the agent to understand those needs and then accurately and fairly present the available options. Through open conversations, the agent is able to learn about existing resources and exposures to make informed recommendations. Clients depend on an agent’s advice, so they must be able to grasp the market and products, easily convey technical information, relate to people, and maintain relationships. A successful agent builds on accounts after the “deal is sealed” – by checking in with clients, ensuring they are satisfied with their coverage, anticipating additional needs, and assisting with any claims.
- Identify and develop new clients through networking, marketing and direct outreach
- Meet with prospective clients to learn more about their needs, exposures, history and resources
- Explain the features, advantages and disadvantages of various insurance policies
- Service client accounts, manage claims, and make policy recommendations as needed
- Customer Service Orientation
- Complex Problem Solving
- Good Judgment and Decision Making
- Time Management
Education and Professional Requirements:
- Entry-level: Bachelor’s degree, state licensing, on the job training
- Advancement: Bachelor’s degree, multiple years of work experience, industry certifications
Possible career path: Insurance Sales Agent Trainee > Agent > Sales Manager > Sales District Manger > Agency Owner
- OII Agent/Producer Profile
- InVEST Agent/Producer Profile
- CIAB: the Role of Insurance Intermediaries
- IIABA Young Agents Resources
- The National Alliance Commercial Lines Producer Profile, Commercial Lines Producer Profile
- Surety & Fidelity Association Agent/Producer Profile
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Meet an Agent/Producer
- IIABA: ACT – Agency Perspectives on the Future
- CIAB 100th Anniversary Video
- NAPSLO Career Video
- Career Opportunities: Broker vs. Carrier
- Marketing Excess and Surplus Lines: The Safety Valve of the Insurance Industry
- Underwriting & Loss Control: Team Work Makes the Dream Work
- E&S: The Exciting and Sexy Side of Insurance
- AAMGA: Certified Insurance Wholesaler (CIW) for individuals, Certified Managing General Agency (CMGA) for agencies
- Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America: Associate in Insurance Agency Operations (AIAO), Associate in Insurance Production (AIP), Management Liability Insurance Specialist (MLIS)
- The National Alliance: University Associate Program, Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC), Certified Insurance Service Representative (CISR)
- The Institutes: Accredited Adviser in Insurance (AAI)
- Insurance Institute of Canada’s Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP)
- American Insurance Marketing and Sales Society: Certified Professional Insurance Agent